Saturday, July 23, 2011

Adventures in Baking

  So today we made chocolate chip cookies using the toll house recipe except we substituted quinoa flour for regular flour and 1 cup of agave nectar for the 3/4 cup white sugar and 3/4 cup brown sugar. Meaning, I used 1 c. agave total.

The results:
  The cookies were super fluffy and because it was quinoa instead of flour, it did have a bit of a different smell and after taste.

The verdict:
   We were 3 out of 4 this afternoon. I didn't love the dough... too quinoa-y :)  The cookies, however were yummy. Zaya was not a fan. One bite and she passed it along to the Bean, who scarfed them down while telling me how amazing they are. (Everyone needs a kid like that!) Lulie ate them up but because of their fluffy-ness she made a bit more than a typical mess. So my grade on this one is 75%, that's a C, not awesome. Maybe I'll get the hubs to give it a go when he gets home and that will either bump me up to a more acceptable B or plummet me downward to a 60%, thus failing miserably!

Next time I think I'm going to use almond flour. The nutty flavor would make for a de-lish cookie.

Anyway, using agave instead of sugar allows for the cookie to have a very low glycemic index (nice for diabetics or those on a sugar free diet) and without the flour it is a gluten free treat! Eat up if you dare!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails